MY BLOG HAS MOVED!

You should be automatically redirected in a few seconds. If not, visit
http://supakid.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks! See ya there!!! :D

May 5, 2010

MELABO



Searching for random things on etsy, I stumbled some animal ceramic figures. This animal figures are a curious bunch, some are antelope dressed in gowns and others are matchmaking unicorns with humans. Looking at the position that some of this are made, I can guess there is an intention for them to be placed on top of frosted wedding cake. Still, I would collect this half-animal-half human figures instead of showing them off on a white gown a top a cake.

There is small interview this artist made for etsy. Hope you enjoy!

Tell us a bit about yourself (name, location, affiliations, personal stuff).

"Melabo" was created by combining the first two letters of my first, middle and last name... Megan Lalli Bogonovich. I live in an apartment in Concord, New Hampshire with my boyfriend Chuck. I've been to art school and graduate school and collected those degrees. Now, I teach at the community college in town, but luckily the semester is over. So, for the summer my brain and hands belong to me. My routine consists of walking to my studio, getting my coffee and bagel on the way, and then settling in to make stuff. My studio is upstairs in a little yellow building that used to be a barn. It's open and sunny and comfortable.

What is the first thing you can remember making by hand? How and why did you make it?

I grew up in Vermont and more than making drawings as a kid, I remember going outside and re-organizing nature. Tidying up. Collecting bits in piles. Finding places to install bark roofs. Getting a little red knife was a big deal at one point. My brother was expert at cutting paths, so we explored outdoor places. We lived across the street from an artsy college and I remember that we used to bump into outdoor installations on a regular basis. A door in the middle of the woods, big clay mushrooms that would be filling a field one day and gone the next, old metal desks welded together to make a huge frog with an open mouth. Kind of an interesting way for a kid to be exposed to are... experimental and without museum formality.

What inspires you? Where do your ideas come from?

I like to travel. I like to look at things. I like to make associations. I watch people. I like the pieces I sell on etsy to be fun and approachable. The larger scale sculptural pieces that I make in my studio often influence the etsy pieces. And vice versa.

No comments: